Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Who am I? An introduction

Hi! I realized that I have not given a proper introduction for all of you! For Shame!!!! My mamma would have my hide! 

So, I'm Amberly! And you are?     So glad to meet you! My mamma would be upset if I didn't curtsey and say, "Charmed, I'm sure!"  (She'd also beat me for calling her mamma, but she's not gonna read this, is she? Ha!)

I'm pushing 40, and quite looking forward to it, but the last few years before it are vexing me! I had the same problem with 30, I loved 30, but HATED 29. Anyway, I grew up in Forest Park, Georgia. It was nicer when I was little, but has gotten less nice through the years. I had a simple childhood, though being the youngest of seven children spoiled me a little. Not as much as some of my older siblings seem to think, though.  I went to Georgia College in Milledgeville for a couple years, then got married at 20. Not wise. I should have waited til I was older, but you couldn't tell me that at the time. I also left college, another silly decision. We moved to South Carolina for him to go to graduate school.

Daddy died just before I turned 21. I miss him, and I always will. I moved to Ohio with my ex, then back to Georgia, where I went to beauty school after Mother died. I'll always miss her, too. We then to Seattle, a wonderful city, I hope to go back someday. It was beautiful and the people were quite lovely.  Back to South Carolina, then to Athens, Georgia, where I am today .In 2005, I went to Martha Pullen's School of Art Fashion and learned to do heirloom sewing. I also took her course in teaching sewing to beginners. I taught at a few local shops, and loved teaching people something I enjoyed so much.  My ex left me in August 2007, and our divorce was final in December. I have finally lived in one place for more than two years. I just celebrated 4 years in the same apartment. Of course, Jeremiah and I are planning on moving across town in August, to a bigger place, but it's still the same town, the same school, the same job, the same friends. Only those who have moved frequently will really understand how incredibly wonderful that feels.

I got my Bachelor's degree in May 2010, seventeen years after I began college. That was one of the proudest days of my life. I wish my parents had been there to see it, they both wanted me to finish. My eldest sister was there, as their representative. She traveled from out west, where she lives with her two critters. I was so glad she could make it. I'm hoping she'll be able to come for my graduation when I get my Master's degree, sometime next year. I study Hebrew Bible at UGA, and I love my school!  I am a TA right now, I lead two discussion sections for a large lecture class. I love my students, and helping them wrestle with the beliefs of religions other than their own. I can hardly wait til I get my own classes! That's what I want to be when I grow up, a college instructor/professor.I'd like to teach Intro classes, such as Monotheisms: Judaism, Christianity, Islam; Intro to Judaism; and Intro to Hebrew Bible/Old Testament. I'm sure other classes will come to mind as I go through my career, but that's what I've been thinking about the last couple of years. I'm excited about my future!

So, that's the short version of my biography. I suppose I'll reveal more if I keep this blog up for any real length of time. I started it for a class I'm currently taking on teaching with technology. The blogging portion has ended, and I think I've posted more in the last two weeks than I did in almost 2 months of class. That's kinda bad. Poop. But it's so much more fun blathering on about my cats, my garden, foods, etc. than as a requirement for a class. 

Well, it's late here. I'm gonna plant some petunias and go to bed! Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Helloe from another GA blogger! I like the blog keep it comming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Welcome! I'm enjoying this, so I think I'll continue for the foreseeable future!

      Delete