Monday, March 26, 2012

I have worms!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!

As you can tell by the title, I have worms and I'm really excited about it!  They are red wigglers, and they now have a home in my little compost bin.  Miah and I went to Winder yesterday to visit friends and his sister, and there was a bait shop!!  I have been wanting to go to one for several weeks so I could get some pretty worms for my compost bin. So we turned around and I got twenty beautiful worms!
They came in a lovely little container. (I recycled it.)

See the pretty worms!

Such pretty babies.

Wiggle! Wiggle!

Oh, no! He's trying to escape!
So now I have 25 critters in my house! Well, the worms are technically outside, so I guess they don't exactly count. The other five are the kitties, and they now have their own page which you can access on the right sidebar.

I put my sweet worms in their box last night, after adding some nice newspaper bedding for them to live in. I counted them as I put them in, and encouraged them to eat up and grow strong! Also to reproduce! The more worms, the faster my kitchen scraps become fabulous compost!

Also, I have lots of pictures of my garden so far this year. Here they are!


The closer box has zucchini, the far box has yellow squash. They are growing nicely!

Here are the plants out under the tree in the yard. It's a nice sunny spot. I started all my seeds here, and so far, they're doing well!

Mesclun - a mix for salads.

Bachelor Buttons - I can hardly wait til they bloom!

Zinnia, they're gonna be so pretty!

Starting from the top right - thyme, oregano, cilantro, and basil. All will add deliciousness to my cooking!


Carrots! Orange, purple, yellow, red and white!

Bell and jalapeno peppers. They will be transplanted to their regular pots before too long!

Marigolds will look pretty next to the tomatoes!

Rosemary - the only surviving one from last year!

A ladybug visiting.

Peaches on my tree! The tree was a gift two years ago for my college graduation from the most fabulous roommate ever, Frances!
 
Another baby peach!

I love my peach tree, can you tell?

My new blueberry bush!

Asparagus! And my new variegated ivy right behind it.  I admit, I got it at Wal-Mart, but it's twice the size of when I got it. I put it in a bigger pot, and gave it lots of love!

The two on the right are cherry tomatoes, the two on the left are beefsteak tomatoes! Salad & salsa!

These are Roma tomatoes!

More Romas! I'll use these for spaghetti, pizza, and roasting! Also, you can see the green container, it is for my compost. I still need to drill air holes in it. But I've left the lid off for now for the worms. In the box in front of the green one there are broccoli plants, but they look kinda pitiful, so I'm gonna give them extra love before I post pictures.

Well, I hope you've had as much fun as I have today! I still get to go to class & discuss Levinas! I am a very lucky girl! Enjoy today!

2 comments:

  1. I've thought I killed all my worms several times over the last 2 years, but they're never really gone. So don't freak out if you turn the compost and can't see any of them for several weeks. They will be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH, THANK YOU!! I am for sure gonna be digging around in there in a week or so, just to talk to the worms, so I'm so glad you told me. I might have cried, thinking all my worms were well, worm food!

      Delete