Monday, March 5, 2012

OER & Creative Commons

Can I just say that I get lost for hours searching these sites? I have found so much information that I will likely use as I write my own courses (giving proper credit where it's due)! Not only are there so many courses and outlines, but on the Creative Commons site there are lots of lovely images that I can use for power points and other lecture/class discussion materials.  I like to have my slides be interesting to look at, not all just text. I know I tend to use too many graphics, so I'll try to limit my prettifying. 

Also, I appreciate that Dr. Clouser gave us the checklist for fair use for our classrooms. I plan on using it a lot, since there are probably going to be materials other than the textbook for use in class. Showing movies in class probably won't be feasible, since class is not long enough to show ones I'd really like to show, like Fiddler on the Roof. And there are some documentaries I might use.Though I think I can use movies as extra credit opportunities throughout the semester, especially if the library has them to check out or I could put my copies on reserve for them to watch in the library. Since it would be extra credit, and not required, I think the fair use would apply. Also, some students have Netflix or would rent them from the video store, which would mean there are some residuals for the filmmakers (sort of).

1 comment:

  1. Blazar,
    I know, isn't it great? I couldn't believe the breadth and extent of the materials available on creative commons. I will definitely use it too, along with the Fair Use Checklist!
    -Grit

    ReplyDelete